Thursday, April 21, 2011

Homade Wardriving Rig


I am an avid wardriver. Wardriving is the act of using a WiFi enabled device such as a laptop to find wireless access points. The act itself is not illegal. It only becomes illegal when you associate with someone's access point without their permission. This is considered "stealing bandwidth". I only scan for the access points and never connect to them. I find it interesting to see what others name their networks and also to see how many I can find. So, I set out to build a directional antenna that I could mount to my roll bar on my truck in order to achieve a greater scanning range.

At first I built a cantenna from a pringles can. The results were more than lacking. I did a little research on the subject and decided on a hybrid mix of a yagi and parabolic antennas.

The outcome is quite nice performance wise. Also the resulting antenna is not obtrusive but ascetically pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment